Blue Plastic Tracks
How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Modification Guides (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear (/thread-866.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - ripley802 - 12-09-2015

I am getting ready to order some gears. The link in this for the UK seller has in the listing that they ship worldwide then exclude like 50 countries. I did fine a listing on eBay US though which appears to be the same seller and it looks to be the same item.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/50-Pcs-7mm-x-2-5mm-Single-Steering-Plastic-RC-Toy-Motor-Spindle-Spur-Gear-/310939474561?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Does this look right. The gears I am replacing are the ones in the TnA as well as some of the bullet train style engines. From my measurements they are about 1/8" wide which seems to match up. Some of the other Tomy engine gears appear to be larger while still having 12 teeth. Is there another thread discussing this or can anyone confirm the different options? Thanks.

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - Gerisplarail1 - 12-09-2015

Fantastic Super must be why the two axles you repaired for me are perfect specimens and run the trains so well you would never know they had been doctored !

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - Super - 12-09-2015

I will have to do some measurements for you Ripley

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - ripley802 - 12-09-2015

(12-09-2015, 04:25 AM)Super Wrote: I will have to do some measurements for you Ripley

Thanks super.. This is probably the best thread so far I have found on replacing them. I had glued a few from time to time but would rather try this method out as it is a little more "factory."

For the measurements it seems there are the 3 that count.

- inside hole/arbor diameter. Seems like this needs to be 2.5mm, but would 2mm fit just not snug? Maybe? Or would it cracked the gear?

- outside diameter. Which seems to need to be 7mm.

- thickness. This is the one I have the most questions on. The gears seem to be different thicknesses depending on the year/style. The ones I need seem to be smaller than the ones I have. Which may be the 5mm as listed in the auction.

I do not have a set of calipers to measure everything or I would. I suppose I could get some or get a mm/cm ruler...Big Grin

Let me know what you can find though. Thanks

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - Super - 12-09-2015

I have one but wont be able to get to it until much later today.

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - Super - 12-10-2015

They might work for the wider geared axles as the 5mm width is exact. However it may not fit in some trains that use the narrower gear that is closer to 4mm wide. So not counting the clutched axle gears there are two size width for the 12 toothed gear 5mm & 4mm.

For the axle diameter I used 3 different calipers, the two cheaper ones came out at about 2.3mm and my big metal caliper showed closer to 2.5mm.

The diameter of the whole gear, 7mm is correct for both width gears.

You may want to just give them a try as they aren't that expensive but in my experience its the narrower ones (4mm) that seem to be in most trains

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - ripley802 - 12-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 12:09 AM)Super Wrote: They might work for the wider geared axles as the 5mm width is exact. However it may not fit in some trains that use the narrower gear that is closer to 4mm wide. So not counting the clutched axle gears there are two size width for the 12 toothed gear 5mm & 4mm.

For the axle diameter I used 3 different calipers, the two cheaper ones came out at about 2.3mm and my big metal caliper showed closer to 2.5mm.

The diameter of the whole gear, 7mm is correct for both width gears.

You may want to just give them a try as they aren't that expensive but in my experience its the narrower ones (4mm) that seem to be in most trains

Thanks for the info. I will give them a try and look for the 4mm too.

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - Super - 12-10-2015

If you do find some 4mm ones give us a heads up please.

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - ripley802 - 12-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 12:15 AM)Super Wrote: If you do find some 4mm ones give us a heads up please.
I did a quick search but am not seeing anything for 4mm. I will keep looking though.

RE: How To Replace a Split/Stripped Axle Gear - ripley802 - 01-02-2016

(12-10-2015, 12:49 AM)ripley802 Wrote: I did a quick search but am not seeing anything for 4mm. I will keep looking though.

My 5mm gears finally arrived from China. They are too big.. Dodgy

Anyone have any leads on the 4mm ones?