Blue Plastic Tracks
Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Trackmaster Thomas and Friends (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help (/thread-3484.html)

Pages: 1 2

Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - TheBlueSnowplow - 01-14-2019

So last night I was wondering what might happen if I took out the motor in my Flying Scotsman (Trackmaster Revolution) and replaced it with the motor from a Tomy Duck chassis, as while doing some cleaning and repair to my TOMY Mavis I noticed that the motors are nearly identical in size. Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the "surgery" was a success, and Flying Scotsman now moves at about the same speed as the Turbo Thomas, which is just delightful to see- I will post a video for you all to look at on my Youtube channel next weekend. The bad news is that while removing Duck's motor from the motor casing, the anti-tampering tabs popped open and his motor and gears fell apart. Luckily, I have all the parts including the spring, but I have no clue how it all fits together. I was thinking I would reassemble the entire mechanism with the TM2 motor inside Duck, just to see what happens. as if it doesn't work properly I'll be needing a new Duck model for filming. Any help you guys can give me about how to reassemble the Duck motor mechanism would be great!

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - ripley802 - 01-15-2019

Can you post a pic of the motor and the gears. I believe I know the one you are referring to, but wanted to confirm.

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - TheBlueSnowplow - 01-15-2019

I won't be home till Friday, so it will have to wait until then.

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - TheBlueSnowplow - 01-19-2019

Here we are. 

[Image: IMG-5394.jpg]

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - ripley802 - 01-19-2019

Yeah that one is a pain. The short answer is you have to get most everything in one half of the shell, then carefully line up the gears/shafts all while getting the small metal pieces to be attached to the motor. Let me see if I can make a quick video. It may take me a little while though.

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - ripley802 - 01-19-2019

And here we go.. 

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - Super - 01-19-2019

Excellent video Ripley, I like the music. Smile

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - TheBlueSnowplow - 01-20-2019

I agree- the music was a nice touch Tongue

Anyway, I tried reassembling him- no luck. the switch seems to be the issue though- its not making a clear shift between "on" and "off" like it's supposed to- just kind of sliding rather than making a good positive connection. any other ideas?

EDIT- the drive gear is also spinning freely

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - ripley802 - 01-20-2019

Is the spring in there? That should put pressure on the gear that moves when the switch is moved back and forth. I typically solder the motor to the wire leads as well once it is back together as that gives it a better connection.

RE: Trackmaster 2 Motor Swap- Help - TheBlueSnowplow - 01-20-2019

yeah i put the spring in there but its not actually doing anything as far as i can tell. let me give it another shot

Edit:
ok. its working. i had the gear in the wrong way. although he moves with such lethargy due to the motor swap that i hardly think all this time and effort was worth it. oh well, i'm too in debt to buy a new duck so this will have to do! xD