Blue Plastic Tracks
Converting Harvey into a DMU - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Modification Gallery (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Converting Harvey into a DMU (/thread-845.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Converting Harvey into a DMU - George_Gipping - 03-08-2015

Hallo everyone

Recently introduced myself on the general board, I've since bought lots of track and rolling stock! Am now embarking on my first mods.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_155827.jpg (Size: 167.12 KB / Downloads: 233)

It occurred to me that Harvey, an un-powered 'dummy' was actually pushed around by a motorised carriage. Picked one up cheap on ebay and I think the opportunity to convert Harvey (or rather his motor unit) into a DMU or EMU is too great to pass up. Progress so far...

First job was to find some carriages to make up the rest of the set. In a job lot of carriages I bought from eBay a few weeks ago I got a whole load (12 or so?) of Annies and Clarabels. I noted just two of the Clarabel coaches were longer than the others - conveniently the same length as Harvey's motor carriage. They will do nicely!

.jpg   IMG_20150308_160040.jpg (Size: 162.31 KB / Downloads: 233)

Sadly they have both had their couplers snapped off, so first job is to replace those.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_160803.jpg (Size: 189.77 KB / Downloads: 230)

The motor carriage has an unusually powerful motor compared to the other Trackmaster locomotives I've got so far, and a really large weight. I almost regret turning it over to this purpose, I think I could also connect it up to a long passenger train (perhaps half way down), to provide a boost to the engine pulling it around the garden layout.

As you can see, I've replaced the front coupler too, so it has loops at both ends rather than a loop and a hook. It originally had an unusually heavy hook so it would stay permanently attached to the dummy Harvey.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_160930.jpg (Size: 189.7 KB / Downloads: 231)

And that's it so far - now need to clean, prime, and paint these. Does anyone have any advice on which paints work best without chipping etc. I imagine most paints won't take too well to the polished surfaces, so any prep tips appreciated.

.jpg   IMG_20150308_161304.jpg (Size: 171.74 KB / Downloads: 224)

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Humbrol Spray Brunswick green for the bodies and a matt grey for the roof.

I've not yet decided on which real-world set I should base it on, but I'm presently leaning towards the British Rail 201, which had a motor baggage car, meaning most of the leading car had no windows - just like the Harvey power car.

.jpg   15223745565_0bbda5a2ed_b.jpg (Size: 227.01 KB / Downloads: 227)

Wondering how to model the leading end - windows, lights, jumpers, destination code board etc.

All advice and thoughts welcome!

RE: Converting Harvey into a DMU - Super - 03-08-2015

Excellent ideas George and a nice pictorial. Anxious to see what comes next.

RE: Converting Harvey into a DMU - George_Gipping - 03-08-2015

I don't suppose you, or anyone else, knows why these Clarabel carriages are longer than the rest? I wouldn't mind getting one more to make the set slightly longer...

RE: Converting Harvey into a DMU - Super - 03-08-2015

I wouldn't know but I do know that we have plenty of experts here that do. Maybe one is Trackmaster and the other is Tomy?

RE: Converting Harvey into a DMU - ROCKINATOR - 03-08-2015

Super, the longer clarabel is from the steam along thomas. The annie is powered.

Interesting! Perhaps I would be better off getting the Annie carriage then - so all of the coaches in the set match?

I presume the Thomas has a battery oil smoker in?

Oh I should mention that annie powers thomas smoke unit as well and pushs him.

RE: Converting Harvey into a DMU - chrisjo - 03-08-2015

(03-08-2015, 06:50 PM)George_Gipping Wrote: I presume the Thomas has a battery oil smoker in?
The steam is produced from distilled water.

(03-08-2015, 05:48 PM)George_Gipping Wrote: And that's it so far - now need to clean, prime, and paint these. Does anyone have any advice on which paints work best without chipping etc. I imagine most paints won't take too well to the polished surfaces, so any prep tips appreciated.
Use Halfords (if in UK) grey primer in a spray can first. See reviews - mostly scale modellers singing its praises.

Good job it's a Sunday and no one is in the office...

.jpg   Office.jpg (Size: 164.02 KB / Downloads: 182)

And so the modding begins...