Remote control Thomas

3 Replies, 5714 Views

Well, I have two remote control Thomases and can't get either one to work! I have one remote.

We have a switching face Thomas that I have been able to get running. That one had a burnt output transistor. I replaced the transistor and got the engine running. However, it ran faster backwards than forwards. It turns out that transistors have a specified amount of current drop. The one I installed for forward had a higher current drop than the one for reverse. I switched them! LoL~! Oh the motors brushes were not touching the commutator either when I got him. A motor cleaning and brush alignment was in order.

Back to the non switching face Thomas. Anyone have any tips? It's been a while since I've worked on him. In fact, I don't know where I stashed the remote! LoL~!

Anyone else repair these engines down to the component level?
(08-30-2015, 06:55 AM)Dan_In_MN Wrote: Well, I have two remote control Thomases and can't get either one to work! I have one remote.

We have a switching face Thomas that I have been able to get running. That one had a burnt output transistor. I replaced the transistor and got the engine running. However, it ran faster backwards than forwards. It turns out that transistors have a specified amount of current drop. The one I installed for forward had a higher current drop than the one for reverse. I switched them! LoL~! Oh the motors brushes were not touching the commutator either when I got him. A motor cleaning and brush alignment was in order.

Back to the non switching face Thomas. Anyone have any tips? It's been a while since I've worked on him. In fact, I don't know where I stashed the remote! LoL~!

Anyone else repair these engines down to the component level?

There are a couple different year R/C Thomas's, have you confirmed that the years match? I believe there is a 2005 and a 2008. Maybe it is not this, but just a thought. Also under the back wheels in the tender ther is a pressure switch, sometimes I have found those to break.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Dan_In_MN, Super
I didn't check the years. I got the remote according to the color. When I find it, I'll have to check the years.

Thanks!
Well I still can't find where I stashed the remote so little eyes didn't see it. She'd be all over that and would know something is up! I'm not ready for her to know yet.....

Here's a picture of Thomas. Both of the engines are 2006.

[Image: IMG_20150831_213904_zpsot6nunqm.jpg]

I believe this remote shone in this ebay ad is the one I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomas-Friends-R...25ab814bd6

Thanks for looking!