Older Trackmaster motor RPM

11 Replies, 18547 Views

I am curious if anyone knows the RPM rating for the older Trackmaster trains(rubber wheel trains)? I ask because I put an older Trackmaster motor in a new Trackmaster Revolution Charlie and it flies. Check out the video.
[-] The following 4 users Like kdeblanc's post:
  • Dan_In_MN, Shawnpjf, Super, Tharazero1
It's probably the gearing ratio rather than the motor RPM, I could be wrong as I'm not an expert on the newer engines (note I don't say better Smile) but I believe they have a simpler gearing mechanism than the older ones Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • ripley802
This video is proof that the new motors on trackmaster revolution are less powerful and probably cheaper per unit than the original motors. The speed increase shown would be from the voltage upgrade to 3v which is a mod I do to many older trackmasters and tomy trains and as mentioned above the gearing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • ripley802
(10-01-2015, 10:48 PM)Ucwepn Wrote: This video is proof that the new motors on trackmaster revolution are less powerful and probably cheaper per unit than the original motors. The speed increase shown would be from the voltage upgrade to 3v which is a mod I do to many older trackmasters and tomy trains and as mentioned above the gearing.

Absolutely, the newer motors are snails compared. I put a motor from a revolution in an older Diesel train with a 3.7v lithium, and it wasn't any faster than stock. The main reason for wanting to know the approximate rpm is so I can get one that is a little less rpm
[-] The following 1 user Likes kdeblanc's post:
  • Super
Cool video Kdeblanc

First I have heard someone swapping a motor on these Revolutions with an original, stock motor. It certainly shows what Ucwepn says above. My guess is that its the 3volts on the original motor that gives it the speed just like a Ucwepn mod. That and also maybe the fact the the Revolutions are darn near direct drive. I wonder if removing one battery, installing a wire in place of the other would bring the speed down essentially making it run on 1.5volts.

BTW: Welcome to BluePlasticTracks.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(10-02-2015, 01:39 AM)Super Wrote: Cool video Kdeblanc

First I have heard someone swapping a motor on these Revolutions with an original, stock motor. It certainly shows what Ucwepn says above. My guess is that its the 3volts on the original motor that gives it the speed just like a Ucwepn mod. That and also maybe the fact the the Revolutions are darn near direct drive. I wonder if removing one battery, installing a wire in place of the other would bring the speed down essentially making it run on 1.5volts.

BTW: Welcome to BluePlasticTracks.

I will try that out Super. I appreciate it.
Like your layout, are those custom made risers used for the spiral?
(10-02-2015, 04:11 AM)Super Wrote: Like your layout, are those custom made risers used for the spiral?

Thank you Super. I went the cheap route and made the spiral myself
I wouldn't call it the cheap route, more like the imaginative, custom and creative route. I like that, you are making it your own, one of a kind..
(10-02-2015, 04:11 AM)Super Wrote: Like your layout, are those custom made risers used for the spiral?

(10-02-2015, 02:13 PM)kdeblanc Wrote: Thank you Super. I went the cheap route and made the spiral myself

(10-02-2015, 02:15 PM)Super Wrote: I wouldn't call it the cheap route, more like the imaginative, custom and creative route. I like that, you are making it your own, one of a kind..

kdeblanc

I'd like to see some closer up shots of how you made the spirals. Nice layout!

Have you see the video with our homemade spirals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR2OSkICpc8

Dan
[-] The following 2 users Like Dan_In_MN's post:
  • Shawnpjf, Super