Outdoor Garden Railway!

32 Replies, 40568 Views

Im starting soon to build an outdoor trackmaster Thomas railway here in Scotland for my son Ben ...well for me really!

Building it on planks of wood up off the ground by about a foot with wooden stakes.....adding various scenes in .....

Hoping to put it here outdoors

Attached Files
.jpg   phpTlBpfIPM.jpg (Size: 54.04 KB / Downloads: 34)
GNER BRITAINS FINEST RAILWAY COMPANY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBKd_lF4e0
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014, 08:27 PM by Chrisf1961.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrisf1961's post:
  • Super
Fantastic yard you guys have there. I have seen many YouTube videos of outdoor Blue Tomy tracks setups including those set up in the snow. How about snapping a picture or two showing your progress as you build and post it here? We would love to see how you are doing. Thats one bonus of using these plastic tracks...they don't rust.

[Image: huge-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Chrisf1961
Yea sure will! we are so lucky to have such a big piece of grass at the front,the mind boggles with what i can do with it! No problems on the pics will keep you posted!

[Image: DSCF8720.jpg]

Heres a couple of pics taken today showing how i can raise it off the ground with the stakes.

[Image: DSCF8722.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8721.jpg]

Looking to paint the wooden in a dark brown colour and design the track in a shape where i can incorporate a Christmas Tree in the middle to hopefully have running Thomas Xmas stuff at Christmas with lights etc . Also wanting to buy off Ebay some British Railway signs to attach to the fences around the grass along with various Thomas vehicles buildings etc .

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 09:16 PM by Chrisf1961.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrisf1961's post:
  • sunhuntin
Fantastic Chris and I bet Ben is loving it. Great ideas for an Xmas scene. Thanks for sharing these pictures and look forward to seeing how the railway progresses. [Image: gr8-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Chrisf1961
o man, that looks awesome already!!
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
Great idea, I had a thought of doing something similar. Whilst I was at my mums house the other day I realised that tomy/trackmaster was exactly the same gauge as brio, and that my tomy DD51 would run on the wooden rails, I then thought...... If I had a router I could route the rails directly into a piece of wood, this way I could make huge straight slopes (for getting up and down on to tables) and if I was making a garden railway using planks, I could just inset the straights into the wood, corners wood be more difficult but you could just chisel the mating end piece and use regular corners........
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • Chrisf1961
Fantastic idea Tramp.We have had a bad day here im afraid in Scotland...im now not building the track above,unfortunatley my son whoom ive mentioned has Autism has scrapped everything ive build and put together. The bridge,which is in the pic came apart and this Ben finds hard with his condition that if something goes wrong or something doesnt work it tips him over the edge. He has im afraid destroyed the whole lot which i was starting building ...so im afraid guys the railway has ended there.Ive no energy tbh as its happened 3/4 times this week where he has scrapped layouts ive built for him in doors...so heres some pics i took prior to it happening ...it might give others ideas on how trackmaster can be built in the garden.

[Image: DSCF8741.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8743.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8747.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM by Chrisf1961.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Chrisf1961's post:
  • Trackmaster-Rail-Yard, Ucwepn
Sorry to hear Chris but if you are like me just the designing in your head is fun and who knows, maybe it would be worth a try in another time. If we can't do, we can dream! [Image: sleeping-in-hammock.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Aresedale productions, Chrisf1961
Hey Chris, don't worry, when I was younger we had a big stacker box of track and we would make a new track each time we wanted to play, pretty much like my sons track is now! I don't know if I've said before but my brother is autistic, he's 26 now and lives in sheltered housing, when I was younger he had a tomy train set (the dark blue type track) I bought bits and we used to share, he liked watching the trains, but like Ben he didn't like it when things went wrong! He was quite destructive too he liked braking things, so the girder bridges got broke (along with all my long straights in my k'nex and bits of my Lego!) he also liked waking down the track so some bits split, it was a great toy, and the majority of the old track survived, we still play with it when I take my children to my mums house. Mathew (my brother) is pretty severe on the autism scale and he doesn't speak although he can make a lot of noise when he wants too! He has always loved thomas and I can remember watching VHS's with him of thomas series 1,
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2014, 10:32 AM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • Chrisf1961