Why Trains Suck in America

11 Replies, 9688 Views

Why Trains Suck in America

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, MunchJrTrains
Nice Video! I personally prefer the design of British trains over American locos.
[-] The following 3 users Like MunchJrTrains's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, Super
Well I know in Melbourne, Australia our trains are horrible. We have our normal commuter trains called metro which are always late and the line I have to catch, the train comes every 20 min. Compared to Japan when they are 95% on time and come almost every 5 min on every line. And the only real type of express train we have is Vline and compared to other express train it is really bad.
(09-29-2016, 10:01 AM)Tharazero1 Wrote: Compared to Japan when they are 95% on time and come almost every 5 min on every line.

When I was in London, I was quite surprised by how accurate the Underground seemed to be compared to its timetables. As soon as a clock would show the arrival time, the train would appear in less than a second. It was almost like someone hiding behind a wall and racing out to get the passengers as soon as they saw the exact hour.
(09-29-2016, 10:01 AM)Tharazero1 Wrote: Well I know in Melbourne, Australia our trains are horrible. We have our normal commuter trains called metro which are always late and the line I have to catch, the train comes every 20 min. Compared to Japan when they are 95% on time and come almost every 5 min on every line. And the only real type of express train we have is Vline and compared to other express train it is really bad.

Nooo! I wont have that! I'm in Melbourne too and I think we have a very adequate public transport system especially the rail network, the biggest flaw to me is the myki ticketing system is horrible but the trains themselves are very good. Due to the size of Australia and small passenger numbers a super fast train is just not viable when airfares are cheaper than ever, we do have the xpt from Melb to Syd which is a fairly fast British HST.
(09-29-2016, 12:23 PM)Ucwepn Wrote: Nooo! I wont have that! I'm in Melbourne too and I think we have a very adequate public transport system especially the rail network, the biggest flaw to me is the myki ticketing system is horrible but the trains themselves are very good. Due to the size of Australia and small passenger numbers a super fast train is just not viable when airfares are cheaper than ever, we do have the xpt from Melb to Syd which is a fairly fast British HST.

Yeah, I take that back They are not that bad but unlike the uk, all the trains go to flinders street station and then you catch the train you need to catch from there. In the trains don't go through one main station. They go to each other's station. But yes, the biggest flaw in metro is the myki system and the overflowing passenger numbers. Might need to get all the old hitachi trains back?????
I completely agree with the video. Japan is very technologically advanced, so there is no wonder why they are so accurate. American FREIGHT railroads, on the other hand, are much better.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
Man, I wish I knew this earlier...
The last 2 AEM-7's were repealed from service this summer...
I liked that locomotive, it looked like a toaster, but much faster.
If I were to choose to own any train from any country in the world, it would be a member of this class. Why am I about to cry over this is my only question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJQRB7ORqIc
Say, next toaster I buy(?), I'm gonna decorate it to look like one.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
[-] The following 2 users Like ROKMAN1445's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Brilliant, I thoroughly enjoyed the video, it brings to life the real world issues with these train companys face! I had to have a small chuckle to myself, it spoke about a new high speed line with a top speed of 120mph..... In the uk the old high speed trains (the intercity 125 - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterCity_125) had a top speed of 125mph and were built in the mid 70's! The new HS2 (High Speed 2) that they are speaking of building, will have a top speed of 250mph. On another note, the HS2 line is planned within 3miles of my house, a lot of locals are up in arms about it (as their houses might be compulsory purchased) but I'm quite looking forward to it!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2016, 10:23 PM by Tramp.)
There has been a lot of talk here in the States about High Speed Trains in the last 5 or ten years. Frankly I just don't see it happening here. The super high cost of just the installing of a brand new bed and rail and infrastructure to accommodate the super high speed trains would probably be too much. Even if they did manage to do something my guess is that they would be forced to run the trains at much less speed than originally planned for. I think the 120 mph is more feasible as I believe they can modify existing infrastructure for those and would be a lot cheaper. If they did procure the money everything would probably be out of date by the time it was all finished.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]