Plarail History: Transition of Power

4 Replies, 4002 Views

While doing some research for Jepson75's query I came across this neat, interesting, bit of the history of Plarails motorized trains and how the power unit has transformed...

[Image: Untsadsditled_zpsvvnavl4e.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • , DalaGStanator, Nigels
"tommy"
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
Just goes to show that progress (aka penny pinching) is not always progress. I would lay money that the older units have lasted a lot longer than the current range will do Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
Do you mean from the ones in the pictures Nigels or between the last few pictures and the new drive unit released last year?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I mean just generally Super, it strikes me that "in the old days" items were made to last and do indeed do just that, whereas these days they are made to a price instead and if anything probably built deliberately to break after a period. After all if something just keeps going you eventually saturate the market and have nobody to sell to Wink

But even looking at the more recent units I prefer the two speed 'C' cell motors to the newer 'AA' units, the latter were naturally heavier giving more traction, had batteries that would last longer and to me always seem to be quieter and smoother running than the new units...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super