Chrizzly's Car Boot Buys!!!

11 Replies, 9077 Views

As some people may know, I love me a good car boot sale! This thread is a place to put all the items I've bought at car boot sales that are train-related. But without further ado, allow me to present to you the first haul!

[Image: image.jpg]

This bridge is marked 'TriAng R78' and only cost me £1.50. I bought it for Plarail trains, as it seems more in scale to them than the OO that they were designed for. It looks amazing and just fits a 3-car train on it. Should make for some great photos.

Next up is a new Plarail Harvey to replace the one that got destroyed by battery damage. Only £5 for a clean, running Harvey! Love it, and Splatter/Dodge's coach is welcome too.

And then there's the ERTLs. I bought 9 of them at today's car boot, and now my total number of ertls has risen to 18. (I believe.) These are definitely the highlight of today's haul. BUT WAIT. We're not done yet.

Yep. There's more. This framed pic of the Shakespeare Express only cost me £3. Frame needs a bit of work, but nothing a gold sharpie won't fix Big Grin

Finally, we have a Sports Porter mini. Because it's not everyday you find a Thomas mini for 20p!

And now for the damage report. Overall, everything I've listed cost me £20.20. I'm quite happy with the amount of stuff I was able to get from this car boot, as you'd struggle to find the ertls for that much online.
Collecting without a clue since 2010
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2018, 02:39 PM by Chrizzly.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Chrizzly's post:
  • Nigels, Off The Rails, Super
Oh, I love that bridge, whats it made of? I see 4 screws on the bottom. Can you take a picture with a Plarail track and train on it? That picture of the Shakespeare Express is cool. Excellent buys. Is a car boot sale like a yard sale here in the States?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Chrizzly
I can answer all 3 questions Super.
1: The bridge is made of plastic, but the track bed is a wooden board.
2: Sure thing. I'm on holiday so I didn't bring any track.

3:Yes. It's like a HUGE yard sale happening in a field, and with lots of sellers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrizzly's post:
  • Super
Thanks Chriz

That bridge looks great. I really like the riveting details.
  • Chrizzly
That’s a nice haul! Like Super, I’m especially impressed by that Tri Ang bridge. I would imagine that it’s close to 50 years old since Tri-Ang was “officially” rebranded as Hornby by around 1972, after several years as Tri-Ang Hornby.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Chrizzly, Super
I think it's one of the earliest ones, as the id number is only 78, as opposed to the 4-figure numbers we're into today. There's no date on the bridge itself, so that's all I've got to go on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chrizzly's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Well, I'm back with another haul to showcase to you all!

This lot came from a different car boot sale to the last haul, but much of this lot has the same nature.

First up we have a working and semi-clean TOMY Spencer. I bought this to replace the dead drive unit in Mighty Mac's coach, but given time (and a tender!) This Spencer is destined to become Mallard, Railway Series black face and all. A new drive unit will be sourced at a later date for it, and maybe outfitted with an extra 3V battery pack for shows. Not bad for a £3 impulse buy.

Here we have the first of two trains from the very same seller in that sold me that Harvey a few months back at a car boot about 50 miles away. This Trackmaster Yellow Rheneas only cost me £5 and is complete barring the nameplate stickers. Once the sticker residue was cleared away he looks quite good. The main reason I bought him was the sole reason that Rheneas was absent in my track master collection, along with Peter Sam, Duke, Bertram, and Proteus. The slate trucks are definitely welcome, as is the blue slate load. I should have also got the 4 BMQ 'standard' trucks, and I'm kicking myself about that now. Sad

I'm also planning on getting the original Rheneas, as well as another yellow one with nameplates. This one will probably become Smudger or be scrapped for parts. I haven't decided yet.

And here's the second train from that seller, and this is in my opinion the highlight of this haul.
The Hypercity Rescue Police Liner is one of the coolest trains produced by Plarail, and makes me wish I bought it in Toys R Us in my younger years as opposed to the E3 Shinkansen... Sad

The only parts I can see that are missing are the front panels, rear carriage with car and the Plakids that accompanied this fine unit.

Oh well, it still looks brilliant as a two car unit, and has already cemented itself as one of my favourites in my collection, despite the decals on the powered car being upside down!:S It's amazing what £5 will get you at a car boot...

Then we have a couple more Ertls that I got. I got another Thomas in better condition, and I got Bluebell, who is quite hard to find, especially in this condition, so that's two more ertls for the collection for £1 each!

Here we have an early take n play Thomas, a character I strangely never collected in take along/TnP form. Near Mint Condition, and only £1.50.

Not train related at all, but I felt a gold Hot Wheels for 50p was worth showing. It fits in Rheneas' second truck perfectly, and fits well when putting it alongside the police train.

Track that is a colour other than blue is very rare in Britain, so this full circle of multicoloured curves threw me, especially when the lady running the stall only charged me 50p for the circle of track, plus a straight piece, plus a tree, and a tunnel! Not bad for some testing track for before we go home.

Okay, the damage report is upon us, and everything above cashed in at a surprising £17.50. Another boot sale looted for its treasures. Until we meet again...
[-] The following 2 users Like Chrizzly's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
(08-26-2018, 01:24 PM)Chrizzly Wrote: [Image: image.jpg]

Track that is a colour other than blue is very important rare in Britain, so this full circle of multicoloured curves threw me, especially when the lady running the stall only charged me 50p for the circle of track, plus a straight piece, plus a tree, and a tunnel! Not bad for some testing track for before we go home.

That is from the Tomy My First Train/Rev n Rails set, quite a fun and powerful lil pullback (unboxing is at 3:50):
[Image: gRR83EM.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like sinkillerj's post:
  • Chrizzly, Super
Thanks. I knew it was from a preschool set, but never knew which one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrizzly's post:
  • Super
Nice haul and at a great price Chrizzly  [Image: baseball-boy-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif]
  • Chrizzly