Does Anyone Know??? *Mystery Solved*

18 Replies, 10304 Views

Does anyone know where this Motorized red Petrol Tanker came from? Sold in a set or by itself? I have only ever seen 2 of these.

I believe it was a UK only release and on the bottom of the chassis its a

Motor Tomica
TW-12
Petrol Tanker

If its like other motorized vehicles the 'TW' stands for Tomica World. A person that had one couldn't remember if it came in a set or was purchased by itself.

Any Help?

[Image: s-l160gg0.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
do you have model name (i.e. T2-05) or serial number?
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
All I know is what I have above Leyland. I must also note that this is not mine but I would like to find one for sure.
Sounds like a challenge Super - I'll keep an eye out for one...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Thanks Nigel
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
WOOHOO!   [Image: woohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif]  [Image: dance.gif]   [Image: banana.gif]

Detective Dr Chris to the rescue again. Thank you so much, now my searches will be more precise...perfect. Is that second picture of a Tomica World catalog?

I wonder why this Petrol Tanker is so seldom seen whereas all the others in the Tomica World series are readily available still? A wild guess...could this Tanker been produced at the end of this series and not as many were released as the whole line was discontinued? Hmmmm. Or maybe this was the only one that was not also released in Japan under the Tomy/Tomica label.
The second picture is part of a poster. You can see the whole thing at Sun's Place.

We can date the poster fairly precisely to 2001, which is when Lady & Diesel 10 first appeared in Tomica World. Dodge & Splatter came out early 2002, but were part of the same series - new engines from Thomas and the Magic Railroad (2000).  None of the other 2002 releases are shown (BoCo, Mavis, Stepney).

Tomica World came to an end in 2003, when it was re-branded Motor Road and Rail and only the Thomas characters were retained.
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super, Tharazero1
Thank you for the great information Dr Chris and thanks goes out to Sunhuntin for having such a great and informative site.

I see something else in that booklet that I didn't know before. This Police car is as elusive as the red Tanker and even though I did manage to obtain one (thanks Dr Chris) I never knew where it came from. I am curious though, the set is called the 'US Patrol Set' I believe it was only released in the UK as I have never seen this Police Car in the US but of course I could be wrong. I also find it curious that a set called 'US Patrol' has a Japanese Bullet Train in it. As far as I know, Japanese Bullet trains don't run in the US Big Grin This set would have been a perfect one to have the rare Blue EMD F-Unit in instead of the Shinkansen.

[Image: Untitwseled.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Tharazero1
And there’s an appearance of the red C12 Zoo Train! That’s another one that’s on my Want List.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super