What did you do to your trains today?

576 Replies, 588470 Views

A somewhat somber update regarding the custom engines I've been working on.

Firstly, starting with the three-truck Heisler logging locomotive:

After a little over a month's time in the shops, the Heisler has, unfortunately, had to be scrapped to numerous issues, which shall be listed here and as follows:

1.) Custom-designed side-rods for the third truck (a.k.a. the tender) have been unstable and not even the toughest superglue has kept them securely held together.

2.) Side-rods for the first truck (front wheels) are too difficult to fine tune, and have no free motion within the front wheels of the engine.

3.) The back chassis (a little ways behind the engine cab; underneath the fuel/water tank on the locomotive) is showing signs of potential breakage, which means the entire engine would have to undergo an immense overhaul to have mended.

4.) Creating custom wheels for the front truck has been contemplated; sadly, due to lack of proper funds, will not happen as of now.

5.) The third truck's drive wheels are too large to fit comfortably beneath the tender, which would require careful sanding down of the truck's inside; last result ended in disaster with support shafts snapping clean free when completely avoided by hands and tools.

6.) Only available motor for the Heisler overheated, smoked, and consequently refuses to become operational again.

Sadly, the Heisler will remain in pieces, but not abandoned until fully operational.

Onto the custom Union Pacific FEF #844!

The few problems are as follows:

1.) Lack of proper funds and measurements prevent me from purchasing the appropriate smokebox door for the engine, and consequently the appropriate decals for the locomotive and tender.

2.) (Just in case anyone may be traumatized with what is to come, you aren't alone with this horrendous surprise) Running plate of the locomotive has snapped cleanly above the driving wheels; I have no idea how it snapped, but it decided to after I had removed the battery cover for some gentle dusting. On the plus side, it makes accessing the drive wheels and removing the tender remarkably easier than before.

The more important, and immensely fortunate, news is that this custom engine is still up and running properly for steam on my Christmas layout when set down around the Christmas tree. Other "updates" on some Fisher-Price TrackMaster models include painting of buffers and couplings on engines, whose said details were coloured in with a Sharpie marker.
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

[-] The following 2 users Like HankAmericanEngine's post:
  • Super, Ucwepn
Thats too bad about the trouble you have been having with your customs. I know how you feel but I look at every setback as a valuable learning experience more than a set back that comes in handy for future projects. Keep trying. Can't wait for the holiday video. I know it will be festive and entertaining.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine
So I have finished setting up my layout, takes up pretty much the whole room's floor. Used almost all my pieces except for some Flexi-Track pieces, some risers, some curved sloping track, and one pair of buffers. A pretty hard job at times, especially building Risky Rails Bridge Drop and trying to fit it in, but I can't believe I've done it.

I've got my engines out and have populated the yards. I just need to make a list for all the batteries I need and I'm all set. I can't wait to show you guys.
[-] The following 3 users Like jdogman's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, sunhuntin, Super
Hurry up Jdog, we can't wait either Smile
So here they are. I would've like to have taken pictures while the engines were running but I started having problems with engines getting stuck on sections and getting hit by another behind. I will try and get a video of them up and running too.

[Image: YogMGVX.jpg]

[Image: 948PbkZ.jpg]

[Image: NUfzUNJ.jpg]

[Image: WdrgPhw.jpg]

[Image: aMWrPBD.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like jdogman's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, Nickel, sunhuntin, Super
Now that is one big layout. Excelent work Jdog. Can you set up your points so some of the trains are on separate loops to prevent any crashes? That is a whole lotta of Trackmaster tracks. The layout looks to be more than 16 feet wide, is it? I don't use any of the Trackmaster track but what I do notice with them is they they don't have the variations like the Tomy blue tracks do. One thing that would make running several trains at once is the automatic 3 way splitter that Tomy blue tracks have or the automatic transfer station. Good job of connecting different sets to. Can't wait for the video.

[Image: awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif]
mega layout, jdog!! with layouts like that, those auto points and such are invaluable.

nothing done on trains lately, but i am working on my lego winter village buildings. i bought base plates a while back and now im out of work, i have time to attach them and make repairs from last years show. things came off as i was packing up, and i didnt have the patience to repair, lol. having the base plates means i can put minifigs on and leave them there so everything will be "perfect".
only down side is my containers now arent wide enough, so need to investigate replacements.

post office and cottage. the cottage wont go on a base, as its just too big. it would be a waste. in the container are the market with merry-go round and santas work shop, and heavily modified tree.
[Image: GEDC0031.jpg]

toy shop and bakery. i need to spend some money on white plates to cover the blue. lego dont make white base plates this size, darn it.
[Image: GEDC0030.jpg]

in a couple of weeks, this is how they will be used, though the layout will be changed a bit im hoping, making use of the large trackmaster christmas set which Super helped me with this year.
[Image: GEDC0443Medium-1.jpg]
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2014, 07:58 AM by sunhuntin.)
[-] The following 3 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, Nickel, Super
I love it

So many nice Lego buildings and I don't think that the blue base plates are all that bad as they look like the blue cold of ice. Clever touch of putting a green bridge side with a red on in the layout. Can't wait for the festivities to begin.
thanks, super. the blue isnt bad, and i have blue matting stuff to put down too, but would like to minimise the blue as much as i can. that red and green bridge wont be there this year, as the shape created doesnt allow for it, lol. all my risers are on corners this time.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Nickel
I have seen the white base plates here on Amazon that are 32 x 32 which I think is 10 x 10 inches.